Monday, July 16, 2007

The Apartment Waiting List

One year ago this month, I was looking for a one-bedroom apartment after my live-in boyfriend of over 2 years decided to "suddenly" move in with someone else. Another beau. I found a one-bedroom apartment and have been successfully living independently.

Today, I received an email from "Goldie" at an apartment complex I inquired about ONE YEAR AGO. She wrote: "I am just following up with you in regards to your apartment search. Have you found something, or are you still looking? I have a quote below for you, this is a one bedroom, one bath apartment available for a move in on July 27th. Please let me know what you think about this."

I wrote back and said, "I think you're about one year too late. I was looking for a place last July and found one. Thank you, though." Way to follow up!

Goldie then had the audicity to write me back: "Thanks for your response, are you happy where you are?"

I glanced at the quote Goldie provided...and laughed. There was a $100 per person application fee, $250 fee PER pet (and I have two), and a $250 per prospect fee (whatever the fuck that is), in addition to a $1263 per month rent cost for a 700 square foot apartment near downtown. Not IN downtown, but near it.

I live in a fairly new apartment complex, can walk a few to the pool or the gym, and have immediate access to a highway which takes me right into downtown. For $710 per month...which is higher than most similar one-bedroom apartments, but it's newer, cleaner, and safer.

I wrote her back (for a final time) and told her that I was happy...for $500 less per month. Good luck with filling that apartment!

No comments: